Monday, December 8, 2008

Prayer

"...You do not have, because you do not ask God."
James 4:2

"...The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
James 5:16

I had a great revelation on prayer a year or so ago. When an unfortunate or upsetting situation arose, I found I would think to myself, "Well, I guess there isn't really anything that I can do to help. I guess I'll just pray," as if prayer was a last resort. I became convicted when I realized that I was pushing God's intervention way back to last place, and even not having much confidence that He would fix the situation. 

Sometimes we forget that our prayers do mean something. Sometimes we are just so caught up in what we are doing that we forget to pray, which the Bible says is why we don't have what we want. Our prayers are the catalysts of change in this life and we must not forget that fact. 

I know that because our faith is such a way of life, we often forget just how much power is behind our requests to God. Proverbs 15:8 says, "...God delights in the prayer of the upright." He loves it when we ask Him for things. Remember as you encounter life, that God is waiting for your requests. Nothing you can ask of God is too great or too small. If He knows the number of hairs on your head, surely He cares about the concerns of your heart. 

"The Lord will perfect that which concerns me."
Psalm 138:8

Jackie Groves


1 comment:

Ellajean said...

Hi Daniel & Jackie!

Thanks for posting this. I needed to remember that when situations look almost impossible we CAN pray and pray without ceasing. I know someone who has been diagnosed with cancer and given 4-6 mths to live. She speaks as though she has accepted what the doctor says and seems to think its God's will for her to die (she's 24 yrs old). I will continue to pray for her. She is concerned about her husband and toddler. I know she would prefer to live. I look at her and can see her living. I don't have all the answers, but I will continue to pray/intercede for her. She's a believer.
Anyway, thanks again for posting this message.

Love, Ellajean (EJ)